Wednesday, June 17, 2015

TO JOIN OR NOT TO JOIN


Hello loves, I want to chat to you as this feels like my safe place to talk, meaning I am not much of a talker or social butterfly in new situations or big crowds.

I recently went to celebrate a beautiful and dear friend’s Bachelorette party eight hours away. I was very nervous to make the trip with a girl I knew but had never visited with one on one. I knew she was a sweetheart but was still nervous as my anxiety always rises when I do things out of my comfort zone. I decided to go on the trip and it meant a lot to me to help support the bride who has a heart of gold and the best personality.

The eight hour drive went great, thankfully my road trip companion was a total doll and so amazing to get to know, a really great person to now know a little better. On the long drive I felt since we didn’t know each other very well I could express some of the issues I was going through and as did she. However when it comes to me sharing, once I’m comfortable with you I have no problem chatting and gabbing your ear off, but later on after I am alone I sit and think, what if that person tells everyone my issues, then everyone will know and I get very  insecure and judge myself for sharing my life with someone. I regret even talking although it feels so nice to connect and share with others I will sit and toil over every word I expresses and how that made me sound or how it was digested by the other person, what do they think of me, what if now everyone will know my deep dark secrets?!

I’m sure you’re reading this and saying to yourself, this chick is absolutely bonkers! She expresses everything on the internet for everyone to read but she regrets talking to others? This is a huge aspect of my anxiety one I have dealt with since I was a tween or younger. When in new situations and I am socializing and offer advice or comments, I retract like a hermit crab into its shell and let my anxiety ridden thoughts take over, thinking why did I say that? That was a silly thing to say? Everyone thinks your silly? Anyone know what I mean? Or am I cray cray as they say.

It helps if I really am trusting and comfortable with the person, then my anxiety is lessoned and eased by trust and it doesn’t take control of me trying to socialize, but that is rare. In large groups or meeting new people I usually feel the safest way is to shut down and not talk and just listen. I will take a back seat and stay silent and let others socialize as I watch, feeling that’s the safest thing I can do, then however I start to think I may come across as snotty or conceded when I am sitting there not talking, that’s not the image I want to express and worry that by letting my anxiety win and remaining silent is actually not the safe solution at all.

So what is the right thing to do? Maybe it’s to express how I feel on here and hope that I will find the answer by opening up to others in my safe place. I consider my blog a safe place as of now as it’s my creation and expression, something I can direct and be completely who I am, many flaws in all.

I sit here and type this trying to work through my thoughts on regretting sharing my life with my road trip companion. I thought if I could write and express myself maybe I could work though these thoughts. It’s an awful feeling to always feel the pangs of regret lurch in your stomach after every time you socialize. I hope by working on my anxiety in the future as I plan to this year. (Year of Change) I will learn the skills necessary to overcome and surpass these issues.

My man G is the same as me when it comes to socializing so we both understand each other very well and have each other to cling to when we need to and talk with and re assure our and deplete our anxiety together as a team. If anyone suffers from the same issues, just know that you are not alone and it’s okay, if we are honest and express how we feel maybe “us” non-social anxiety personalities can all form together and be the ones who end up chatting and socializing together!
 
Thanks for stopping by my loves
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment