Wednesday, September 27, 2017

ROLLER COASTER

I love having a unexpected and eye openly productive therapy session. It happens when I least expect it. Usually when I'm not looking forward to a therapy session because I feel like I've done nothing to progress or even regressed. I have been told I can be very hard on myself so sometimes I get down and feel low and its harder to get to a therapy appointment. However I can honestly say I have never regretted going, I always feel better. Every. Time. 

At one of my last therapy appointments where I made the one hour drive thinking I didn't know what we would talk about as I was feeling down and depressed and was forcing myself to go. During my appointment my therapist talked about this eye opening analogy that really reignited with me.  I love analogies and especially when I can vividly see them play out as a story in my mind.

My therapist said when you have low or bad days, weeks, months its going to happen no matter what. From the lows you will rise and have good days, weeks or even months and then the cycle will repeat itself. To remind myself that on the low days I shouldn't feel as though I'm slipping back into my deep dark cave of depression I was in before entering therapy. The low or bad days will pass and then you will have good days, to him life can be compared to a roller-coaster. I've heard this before so I asked, how so?

Life is like a roller-coaster you are strapped into your seat (your seats your individual life). The rollercoaster will go up slowly and rise to a peak (a great point in life that you have worked towards) sometimes you'll get there with more or less momentum. You may stay at the top for a brief period or maybe a certain period of time in your life, their will always be bad days, that's the rollercoaster going down. Sometimes the roller-coaster will plunge fast and hard, we may need help from family or professionals to work towards climbing back up, some falls may just be very temporary and we are back up. Just because the roller-coaster goes down doesn't mean we will stay down. Life is unpredictable in the way we can't map out the ups and downs but we can predict that we will always rise and fall just like a roller-coaster.

So if we know and try to remember this analogy, we can tell our selves during life's lows and hard times that it will get better, it wont be easy and without work but it will get better, so lets strap our selves in and hang on tough to this thing called life.

May your roller-coaster of life have many more ups than downs.  xo


No comments:

Post a Comment