Wednesday, January 18, 2017

SAYING HELLO TO A NEW SELF

I LOVE METAPHORS

I LOVE DIAMGRAMS

So here is something to think on……………….


What if each of our emotions; anger, shame, self-compassion etc. created a version of our selves separate from one another. We each have our own way of thinking and acting that we call ourselves, however when a strong emotion is present example anger, we let anger control our thoughts, motivation, sensation, attention, behavior and imagery. When your angry think how the anger emotion controls each of the above six things. You wouldn’t behave or imagine the same things if you were feeling shame. If you were feeling shame then everything would reflect that, what I’m trying to say is each emotion controls differently which in turn creates a different version of ourselves?

Now imagine all of these “selves” on a ship, the self we want to captain the ship and be in charge of all other selves is Self-Compassion “self”.

I love this way of thinking, it helps me envision all of my emotions, values and mental well-being goals.  

And for a brief moment last week, I can proudly say I let myself compassionate self be captain of the ship even if it was brief and short lived, it still happened, which makes me feel very hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment