Friday, September 02, 2016

REFRAIN RESTRAIN

The latest in therapy techniques might be the most “out their “of the ones I have tried to implement.
I like to think of therapy tools and techniques as sciences experiments, we discuss, we strategize, we implement. (We me and my therapist).   I try to implement different techniques into my life to help deal with my anxiety, depression, shame and guilt.
The newest tools is to deal with my body shame.

Background: at this particular therapy session we further discussed my body shame, when it comes to wearing a dress, going out to an event, being intimate, my mind goes to three stages of shame instantaneously.
First: No Don’t Do That, second: Because you’re not worth it, you’re fat, third: There Is No Point, move on and don’t do it.  SHAME AT ITS FINEST FOR ME, this is how a lot of my decisions are done.

Now to move past this way of thinking is hard as I have come to the realization I will never re-train my brain to completely think differently. I can think of the three shaming phrases that come into my head as simply words. WORDS.

This is where the tool comes in, the weird tool. I try to implement singing these words to memorable chorus’s, repeat with celebrity voices outload, after doing so several times the words become well, just words. They lose the attachment from my mind that they are my own words so they must be truth because I thought them, they just are words.
By putting this into practice it becomes my latest experiment, I’ll see if it sticks and report back at my next therapy session and from that we gather the evidence on should we tweak the tool, keep using the tool, move on to a different tool.
So for now I’m saying: “No don’t do that, because you’re not worth it, you’re fat, there is no point, move on and don’t do it”. In the voice of Donald Duck & Christopher Walken.
 

 photo e8eaaefc-5fb1-4afa-8eaf-c2da3ce4cee2_zpsjq3cyvvl.png

No comments:

Post a Comment