Wednesday, September 07, 2016

THIS IS WHY

We (me and G) were on our way home from a belated birthday dinner for Gs’ 32nd birthday. I like usual lately was talking about my little sister and her soon becoming a mom. I am beyond excited to snuggle that little ball of cuteness when it arrives. Back to my story though, before I ramble on a million cute adjectives for newborn babies!

G asked what I was doing on my phone while we were on our way home, he then said: “let me guess something for your sister”. Frustrating how he always knows, or maybe I’m extremely predictable. We will go with a little of both. I replied by agreeing I was trying to decide how to get her closet baby ready. He looked at me and very seriously asked the question he has asked many times before. “Why do you put so much of yourself into others like your little sister and not yourself, it bothers me to be honest”? I had explained before how I feel very protective of my family and like to make them happy and feel cherished with attention and gifts. He knows this but not the whole story, I decided to explain in depth to see if he would better understand and it would relieve his worries.

When I was growing up as a young teenager I followed suit and picked on my little sister, that’s what was done to me and others, I will never forget making my little helpless sister cry on our bus ride home one day, from that day on I stopped if it was going to cause tears from someone I loved it was not the right thing to do to follow others to be so called “cool”. From that moment on I was very protective of my little sister, I needed to be the one to watch over her and protect her not be a bully and mean sister.

When I was 14/15 years old home life was tough (divorcing/fighting parents) and me being extremely independent didn’t agree with my mother’s new boyfriend and packed my clothes and bed up and moved to an apartment with a part time job and still going to high school. I had an extremely hard time leaving my sister. I had zero worries about what I was doing for myself would be best except the guilt of leaving her in that house. I knew that I couldn’t provide for her so what was best was to let her live at home while I left. I left her in a home ravaged by divorce and anger, not the ideal place in my opinion.

If it wasn’t for my sisters strong soul it might not have turned out for the better, she leaned on her boyfriend and his family for the kind of support a teenager requires and needs. I was always there for her or I tried to be anyways, I still had and still do have a pang of guilt for not being able to help her more. Thankfully my sister is an amazing person and soon to be mommy and she has made a wonderful happy life for herself, one I am very proud of.

However the thoughts of her missing out on some of her childhood and having divorced damaged parents still leads me to try and be her protector and as G says her second mom. In a way I agree and in a way I know its UN needed as she is a strong young woman, but that doesn’t stop me. In the end I’m her sister and that word means more to me than words can explain.

I am a fixer, a worrier, a gift giver, listener, guilt obsessed person just trying to be a good sister and good person. This is why I do what I do for her.

In the end G understood why.




No comments:

Post a Comment